Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ticked... And Triple T. (Does that make it quadruple T if I'm ticked too?)

I am ticked that I have missed yet another Tuesday. I created Triple T, making a top ten list for every Tuesday like 6 weeks ago and I think that I have posted only 1 list. I'm ticked because seriously EVERY TUESDAY for the past too many weeks Tuesdays have magically become my busy run-around-with-your-head-cut-off kind of day and I fail to post the list that I made originally for like some Tuesday back in May. DUH! Today I had a few minutes to post (or so I thought) and I just got super busy doing other things. So, I have failed yet again at posting this Top Ten List. But instead of waiting till next Tuesday and making you all think that I forgot about my own invention, I have decided to just break the rules and post it on Wednesday. (Well, it could still be considered Tuesday because its 12:36 am and I am still up blogging. But probably all of you will not see it until Wednesday unless you are like me, reading blogs at one in the morning.
So, here you go, this is one of my favorite lists…
My Top Ten Favorite Musicals.
Some of these are only movies, some of them are only theater productions, some are both… But I decided they can fall into the same list because they are all musicals.

I tried to put these in order of my liking, but I just couldn’t do it. So, in no particular order:

1.       Tarzan
Now, it is critical to note that I am NOT talking about the Disney movie (although it is a pretty good movie.) I am talking about the original Broadway show.

I saw this on Broadway in 2006 and was S.M.I.T.T.E.N.
This is us, totally SMITTEN
It has the most brilliant music, and it had brilliant staging and costumes and I still think about those scenes that I only saw one time 5 long years ago.
Check it.

2.       Newsies 
Of course this is only a movie, but am I not the only one who thinks it is one of the greatest oversights in our UNIVERSE that no one has made it into a Broadway show yet? Hello??? It's destined for greatness. And how yummy is Jack Kelly “you think I'm lyin’?”

It was one of the first musicals I ever saw as a child. I still remember the first time I watched it. I was in 5th grade, visiting my aunt in Texas, my cousins friend brought it over. Little did I know what I was about to feast my eyes on.
3.       Little Shop of Horrors
Now, I have only seen one stage production of this. Actually it was my first exposure to the show. I'd never even heard of it prior to my junior year of high school. (Don't judge, my parents are not big musical lovers and therefore why would they have introduced me to the magic that is Little Shop?)
My good friend Jessi did a brilliant job at playing Audrey and I still remember how brilliantly she mastered that unforgettable voice.
Besides that play the movie is the only showing I have seen of this play. And holy Rick Moranis is a gem.
And Steve Martin steals my heart, except that he is a sadist wacko. No biggie.

4.       Memphis
I've blogged about this show before. I saw it on Broadway once and a taping of that show two other times. I cried the second and the third time watching it. I can't really say much else about this show other than go to New York right now to see it. It's that good. It's Tony-award-winning-for-best-musical-in-2010-good.
I'm head over heals. 

5.       Wicked
Everyone knows about this show and everyone knows why it is amazing. I saw it on Broadway only once. It's on the bucket list to see at least another time in the big apple before I die.

6.       Thoroughly Modern Millie
This is another one that is both a movie and a stage production. I have seen both and don't really care for the movie, which is surprising because Julie Andrews is one of my favorite actresses.
Sutton Foster one the Tony for her role as Millie the week before I saw her perform the role on Broadway.

She completely and totally lived up to her award. I adore this show.
7.       Sound of Music.
I have also blogged about my love for this musical before. I have never seen a stage production of this (even thought I actually was in one back in 2003) but it’s not my favorite on stage. There is only one song that is different than the movie that I care for. I love Julie Andrews in the film version though, as well as Christopher Plumber and every other cast member.

It's such a gem. It is the first musical I ever remember watching and one of the few that my father loves. He definitely gifted to me that love of this musical.

8.       Singing in the Rain
This is one movie that I could watch over and over and over again and never tire of. Debbie Reynolds is majestic and Gene Kelly is one of my idols. They are so charismatic together. I LOVE THIS FILM.

9.       Aida

I have only seen this show on stage twice. At a little local theatre that did a magnificent production job. You know I love something when I make plans to see it again, this is one such show. I’d actually never even heard of it before I went to the showing. Not knowing what to expect I immediately fell in love with it. The plot, the music. Its magical. So, in my immediate  love affair I went home and bought tickets to go see it again the next night. I have done this several times with shows I love. I have yet to do it in New York but I always wish I had after I am done. I am taking this into consideration for the next trip I take.

And finally # 10.
Footloose. 
I really like the movie version of this show. I mean how yummy is Kevin Bacon?
But my true love for the show is in its theatre production. I've only seen one high schools pathetic version of the show being done as an audience member. I was in the show in high school, but my real love came simply from the original Broadway cast recording soundtrack. It's magical, for lack of a better word. (all of these shows are magical to me in some way)

And there you have my top ten favorite musicals. What are yours?

 
Before signing off though, I have a sort of embarrassing confession to make… It is super duper juvenile but my runner up that barely got cut from the list is Annie. I have only seen the movie and not that new one they came out with just a few years ago. The original from the 80’s. The reason I love it is the freeking talent that it showcases, and actually not Annie herself… she is ok in my opinion but NOT the reason I watch it. Burnadette Peters and Tim Curry blow me away.

And who doesn’t adore Carol Burnette in all her villan-ness.

And Ann Reinking is to die for.

Totally juvenile and embarrassing but I truly love this movie.

As I said when I created Triple T, I did it because it is a way I get to know people in real life. I am always asking people to give me their top ten of something. You can really learn a lot about somebody from their top ten lists. That is what I love about it. I think you all will get to know me better from this lovely and I want you all to participate too. Make your own Top Ten lists and let me know about them. I will get a linky party going someday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment